16th Annual Comal County Fair
BBQ Cook Off
Saturday, September 21, 2019
All entry forms with entry fees for returning cookers must be received by July 26, 2019.
All spaces will be open to NEW cookers August 1
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 1st
RAIN OR SHINE COOK OFF WILL GO ON. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN FOR ANY REASON.
Spaces are limited to the first 100 teams
ENTRY FORMS WILL BE AVAILABLE JUNE 1, 2019
Chairman: Jeff Bujnoch 830-237-9261 (C)
Co-Chairman: Sammy Sikes 210-389-4462 (C)
Location: Comal County Fair Grounds
- BBQ - $150.00 per team
- Jackpot Beans - $25.00 per entry. Limit one (1) per team. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED!
- Cook’s Choice Dessert- $25.00 per entry. Limit one (1) per team. Will be held Friday, September 22nd!
- RV Spaces - $30.00 per night. RV spaces are currently full. To be put on waiting list call the Fair Office at 830-625-1505.
- Electricity - $25.00 for the weekend to be paid to the fair office for anyone using electricity and/or water that is not in an RV space.
- Trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd places in meat & bean categories.
- Payouts for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in meats & bean categories.
- Trophy for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in Cooks Choice Dessert
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Move In, Set-up, and Move Out Procedures:
1. Advanced Set-Up: Teams with large pits, RVs, large tents or port-o-potties may set-up only those items on Thursday September 20th from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Please enter off Common Street.
2. Advanced Set-Up must be requested in advance and must be noted on your entry form.
3. All spaces are 30’X30’. All teams must remain with-in their designated spot. (No encroachment on other space will be tolerated.) THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED!
4. Any trailer or RV that does not fit within the designated spot must be removed to the back parking lot. This decision will be at the discretion of the BBQ Committee and all decisions are final.
5. NO ALCOHOL will be allowed on the Fairgrounds during set up on Thursday September 19th.
6. NO overnight camping will be allowed on September 19th.
7. NO meat will be inspected on September 19th.
8.General setup will be available on Friday, September 20th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and again on Saturday, September 21st from 6 a.m.-8 a.m.
9.All entries meat and beans should be in one vehicle to be inspected at the same time, not located in several vehicles. All entries will be inspected at the same time.
10.Vehicles with few or small items will be asked to park in the dirt parking lot and hand carry the items to the team space (team should bring dollies and hand carts to assist in this process).
11.Only two (2) vehicles from each team will be allowed in the competition area to unload at one time.
12.On the day of set-up, vehicles will have a two (2) hour time limit to unload and may be disqualified if left in the competition area longer than two (2) hours.
13.All vehicles in the competition area should have an assigned placard to be placed in the vehicle windshield or dashboard with the name and contact number of the driver so that vehicles that impede setup may be moved quickly. Placard will be assigned at check-in gate by the BBQ-Committee and must be returned to the Fair office prior to the awards.
14.All vehicles exiting the competition area on Friday September 20th will do so by following the road on the back of the rodeo arena and exiting into the parking area near the Common Street.
15.All vehicles must be out of the cook-off area by 7 p.m. Friday September 20th.
16.Teams are welcome to start breakdown of their cooking site after the awards, however, Vehicles will not be allowed onto the competition area until 8:00pm Saturday. Vehicles will follow designated route to enter and exit the competition area.
17.All vehicles when exiting the competition area on Saturday will do so at the Grant Street exit gate.
Contest Rules and Regulations:
1. All teams must furnish their own raw meat and cooking supplies.
2. All raw meat must be inspected prior to head cooks meeting on September 21st. Any meat that has not been inspected will not be judged. All entries will be inspected at the same time.
3. All entries, meat and beans should be in one vehicle to be inspected at the time, not located in several vehicles.
4. Jackpot Beans: Dry pinto beans only. Beans may be pre-soaked but not pre-seasoned.
5. Cook’s Choice Dessert: Must be all fresh ingredients, no store bought boxes may be used.
6. Categories: Beef Brisket, Chicken Halves, Pork Spare Ribs, Cooks Choice Dessert and Jackpot Beans.
7. Judging will begin at 10 a.m. with Beans, followed by Chicken Halves at 12 p.m., Pork Spare Ribs at 2 p.m., and Beef Brisket at 4 p.m.
8. Every team should be prepared to provide at least one (1) person to be a judge.
9. Teams can pick up their judging containers on Friday September 20th starting at 5p.m. under the food court and again at the cooks meeting on Saturday September 21st.
10. Head Cooks meeting will begin Saturday September 21st at 8:00 a.m. SHARP under the food court. Any teams who have not picked up judging containers may do so after head cooks meeting.
10. Showmanship Award will be presented for the team with the “Best Pit Area”. Award is judged by the BBQ Committee.
11. Awards: See Awards section above.
Cook’s Choice Dessert Rules
- Only one (1) entry will be accepted per team
- All desserts must be cooked on site and over a fire within the Comal County Fair Grounds. No prebaked entries will be accepted.
- Each dessert must be baked from scratch. No mixes or pre-made items are permitted (ex. Jello, Cool Whip, etc.).
- For health reasons, no desserts requiring refrigeration are allowed (ex. Cheesecake, ice cream)
- Each dessert entered will be required to provide a list of all ingredients on an official Comal County Fair page provided. (This will aid those with food allergies. The recipe is not needed just a list of ingredients.)
- All dessert entries will be submitted in a judging tray provided by the CCFA and can be picked up at the fair office before 5:00pm.
- All dessert entries must fill the bottom part of the judging tray or by the half dozen or more (cookies, brownies).
- At the time of submission all desserts become the property of CCFA.
- Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony Saturday at the completion of the BBQ Judging.
- All dessert entries must be turned in by 6 p.m. on Friday, September 20th.
1. NO ALCOHOL will be allowed on the Fairgrounds during set up on Thursday September 19th.
2. Teams are allowed to bring 2-100qt ice chest worth of beer onto the grounds. Beer and Ice will be available for purchase at the Fairgrounds.
3. Per TABC rules and the CCFA License, NO alcohol other than beer or wine is allowed on the grounds at any time.
4. Consumption of alcohol must stop at midnight on Friday, and 1am on Saturday.
5. Team conduct is the responsibility of the team captain/head cook.
6. Drunk and disorderly conduct by any team member or their guest is grounds for team disqualification and removal from grounds.
General Rules and Regulations
1. All spaces are 30’ X 30’. All team must remain with-in their designated spot. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
(No encroachment on other spots will be tolerated.)
2. Any trailer or RV that does not fit within the designated spot must be removed to the back parking lot. This decision will be at the discretion of the BBQ Committee and all decisions are final.
3. No ground fires.
4. NO animal(s) of any kind WILL BE PERMITTED on Comal County Fair Grounds with the exception of service animals.
5. No motorized vehicles (GOLF CARTS, 4 WHEELERS, DIRT BIKES ECT), WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE FAIR GROUNDS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF FAIR/COMMITTEE OFFICIALS.
6. Music within your team area is allowed. HOWEVER sound/stereo systems or LIVE music which interferes with announcements, entertainment, or other events sponsored by the CCFA or which intrude upon or interfere with the comfort of fellow contestants WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. Offenders may receive up to 3 warnings from BBQ Committee officials and non-compliance will be grounds for disqualification.
7. ALL LIVE ENTERTAINMENT MUST BE APPROVED PRIOR TO SET UP.
8. ALL vehicles and trailers must be parked in outfield grass parking lot behind fair office. UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES WILL BE TOWED AT THE OWNERS EXPENSE.
9. Disorderly conduct or unruly behavior will not be tolerated. Teams will be disqualified and asked to leave the grounds immediately.
10. Each Head Cook will be responsible for the conduct of their team members and guests and keeping their area clean, including final departure clean-up.
11. All teams must enter the Fair Grounds from the Parking Entrance on Common Street.
Additional rules or regulations may be made as the situations warrant.
Additional rules or regulations may be made as the situations warrant. Decisions of the BBQ Cook Off officials are FINAL.