CHAIR: Margie Erben
CO-CHAIR: Julie Smith
This contest is open to all homemade salsa creators. The competition is restricted to non-commercial salsa. Salsas produced on the premises of commercial kitchens or restaurants are not eligible. The salsa must be made in your home.
Entry requirements for each competition entry:
- Bring the recipe for your salsa with your entry
- Indicate on your entry the date it was made (Must be fresh made for competition or fresh preserved using the approved hot water method)
- Only one entry per participant
- Bring your entry in a one pint, sealable container such as a ball or mason jar with sealable lid or a “Zip Lock” type container with sealable lid
- All entries will be kept on ice until judging time
- For food safety reasons, all entries will be disposed of after competition is completed. Only the empty food container (and trophy or ribbon) will be returned to the competitor
- Entries will be accepted between 8:00am and 6:00pm on Wednesday, September 27.
- The Chairperson must inspect and accept all entries for food safety reasons and their decisions are final.
- Judging will take place on Wednesday, September 27 beginning at 7:00pm. No Spectators are allowed.
- Empty containers, entry tags and ribbons may be picked up on Sunday, October, 1 between 5:00pm and 8:00pm or Monday, October, 2 between 8:00am and 12:00noon.
Samples of salsa will be tasted and judged, therefore for food safety reasons, all salsa must be made fresh on the day of competition or canned/preserved using the hot-water canning method to be considered to judging. Seals will be tested before acceptance for judging. All salsa entries will be judged in a blind judging using both plastic spoons and tortilla chips for tasting.
Entries will be judged on four criteria:
Salsa awards will be given in the following categories:
- Best Overall Homemade Salsa (Trophy)
- Tri-Color Ribbons will be awarded in the following categories if 3 or more entries are entered:
- Best Red Salsa
- Best Green Salsa
- Best Pico de Gallo
- Best Chutney
- Best Fruit Salsa or Chutney
- Best Pepper Spread
THE COMAL COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS, THEFT, OR DAMAGE TO ANY ENTRY.